The Wepawaug - not just a river - it is the title of each Class Yearbook and the school newspaper, The WETHOMAS - The Wepawaug Times of Milford High School. The Wepawaug River is named after the Wepawaug Indians, from whom the early town settlers purchased land in 1639. The Wepawaug River not only courses through our city but also has impacted our lives. Usually quiet and calm, the river went on a rampage in 1982, overflowing its banks and creating serious flooding that severely damaged Milford City Hall, the Milford Library and many other downtown structures on the aptly named River Street.
CIRCA 1940 ..... ARE THOSE DIRT ROADS?????????????
THOSE OF US WHO GRADUATED IN 1951 KNOW THIS BUILDING WAS NOT COMPLETED UNTIL JUNE OF THAT YEAR. IT DID NOT OPEN TO ACCEPT STUDENTS UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1951.
MEMORIAL TOWER STANDS TALL AT MEMORIAL BRIDGE ON NEW HAVEN AVENUE AS THE WEPAWAUG GOES OVER ANOTHER WATER FALL AND INTO FOXES HOLLOW ON ITS WAY TO LONG ISLAND SOUND.